Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Dark Chocolate in Your Medicine Cabinet?

I found this in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of Natural Solutions:

"Quiet a Cough" - Dark chocolate is as effective a cough suppresant as codeine...That's what British and Hungarian researchers found in a recent study. What's the secret? Experts think the chemical theobromine (found in chocolate) relaxes the vagus nerve, which runs through the airways to the brain and triggers coughing.

Just 2 ounces of chocolate is enough, and the higher the cocoa content (think 65 percent or more), the better.

As a friend of mine is known to say... Cool Beans! Cacao beans that is!

3 comments:

  1. I have a nasty cough right now - I may put this to the test. Love, Tee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do! I'd love it if this worked!!!

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto ... feel better, Tee.
    Interesting post ... I can't wait to hear.
    I have a friend marketing a very high ORAC chocolate. Pretty pricy as 'candy' goes but probably great compared to cough medicine.
    I will get her info and post.
    Happy Weekend All! <3 San

    ReplyDelete