Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

100/Minute + Raisins = Great Walking Tips!

I love that our blog is full of inspirational quotes that people share and also a place where we can share tips or personal experiences. You never know what you'll find each time you check out the blog.

Today I'm going to share a couple of walking tips, courtesy of the RealAge site that I get e-mails from. It's worth it to get on their e-mail list for some interesting tips.

Tip 1 - Minimim 100 Steps a Minute
For maximum health, you want to aim for 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise on most days of the week. But what does "moderate" mean? In a study, researchers found that men needed to take 92–102 steps a minute and women needed about 91–115 steps per minute to elevate their heart rate and oxygen intake high enough to qualify their activity as moderately intense. So grab something with a second hand and count your steps! I did and found I averaged 120 steps a minute on my outside walks. We'll see what pace San and I keep in the mall next!

Tip 2 - A Handful of Raisins
A little raisin appetizer before your workout may work as well as a sports drink in helping you keep pace and could crank up your fat-burning engines to boot. Raisins are loaded with antioxidants and good-for-you nutrients like fiber, iron, and potassium. So keep a stash on hand to help you meet your fruit intake needs when your fruit bowl runs empty.

Now to grab my raisins and head out for my morning walk!

1 comment: