Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Choose an Empowering Outlook

This week’s principle is another mindset principle. Why do we spend so much time here? Because this is how lasting change begins – by strengthening our mindset.  This principle builds on both “Healthy Fit Preceeds being Healthy and Fit” and “Life is a Self Fulfilling Prophecy”. This principle states Choose an Empowering Outlook.

We’ve all heard the metaphors: Glass Half Full – Glass Half Empty; High Road – Low Road; Bright Train – Dark Train; Lemons or Lemonade.

The crux of each of these metaphors is CHOICE - when faced with a situation WE get to choose our response …it may be consciously taken or we may be on autopilot, but we do choose.

We can find the good or positive in a situation or we can focus on the obstacles, the negative, and the bad. Our results, really our life, depend on how we interpret and respond to a situation.   What we chose becomes our reality so we choose our reality. So why not chose the story that supports your desired results?

Here are a couple of examples showing different interpretations or thoughts:

We can say… I’ll always have weight problems
Or we can say… I’m always learning new ways to help me maintain a healthy weight.

We could say...being fit is just too much work
Or we can say... learning how to be fit and healthy is fun and rewarding.

One will keep you where you are, the second will allow you to create a new reality. Do you hear and feel the difference? In the first our energy is lowered, the 2nd is empowering.

Increasing our awareness of when our thoughts are not leading us in a positive direction and readjusting our thinking is the first step to rewriting our life.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOG…
  • What thought or thoughts did you catch yourself thinking this week? Share it? And share at least one way you can rewrite this to be more positive and empowering.
  • Was there something that you heard growing up that still has a hold over you? A limiting thought? Again, share it, rewrite it. By sharing on the blog you are taking the first step to releasing it’s hold over you.

ABUNDANT HEALTHY ACTIONS…
  • Make a list of stories/beliefs/thoughts that don’t serve you. Take one and rewrite it. Imagine yourself using a new pair of glasses to see an old problem or challenge from a fresh perspective. How might a wise grandmother deal with the issue?
  • When talking with a friend, do you notice when they say something limiting about themself. Use this as an opportunity to say…what about thinking about it this way…sometimes by helping someone else rewrite their story we increase our ability to rewrite our own.

5 comments:

  1. I had an unusually demanding week, and did not get in my workouts on several days. Instead of feeling guilty and beating up on myself, I told myself that aside from those missed days I have made great progress in recent weeks. The quote "If you fall off the wagon, get right back" on came to mind. Also -- planning ahead for busy days and/or making the time, even if it is minimal, to get a short workout in next time is a very real goal. Something is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty - you are showing us by your example what it means to put our Abundant Healthy Living principles in action. Good for you for not going down the guilt path - the wagon doesn't go there!

    I know my activity level has slackened off and my scale is showing the consequences as well. I could see this as proof that weight is still an issue for me - not an empowering thought. Even in writing this I KNOW that is not me.

    Like you, I know the wagon is waiting for me. I know I can recommit and get back on. I am an empowered healthy and fit person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this weeks theme and comments by others, I realized quickly how powerful this group is for me. I am now back on going full force ahead. thanks to all of you, Myra

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many of us have 'To Do' lists? I am a list person and what is usually on the list is the 'should dos' or the 'need to dos' - why not the 'want to dos'? How many of us include Self Care items on our lists? How many of us make these actions and activities important enough to be part of 'The List'? I'm as guilty of that as anyone else, for sure. So, my new empowering thought is: 'Being the Healthy Fit person that I am, I make self care a priority in my planning and To Do lists and I make sure these items are checked off as DONE!

    ReplyDelete