Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, August 30, 2010

You are What You Eat

I know.  I know.  I have said this before and it is certainly a very well-worn saying.  But, sometimes, you need to hear things at least a million times before the message sinks in. 

During our time together - on the phone and in the blog - you have heard me go on about my love of SuperFoods (http://www.superfoodsrx.com/).  Well, recently, I re-discovered a philosophy that walks hand-in-hand with not only SuperFoods, but with the abundant healthy living philosophy we've been embracing. 

The practice is called Eat Clean (www.eatcleandiet.com).  The maven of the Eat Clean movement is a gal called Tosca Reno.  I encourage you to pick up one of her books - The Eat Clean Diet or The Eat Clean Diet Recharged are good starting points.  I have been eating clean for almost three weeks now and have lost 7 pounds.  My head is clearer and I no longer have the mid-day energy lull. 

The basics of Eating Clean are no white flour, white sugar (or white sugar derivative), or foods that are over processed.  If the label has more than five ingredients, or words you cannot pronounce it is not clean.  An interesting blog about food additives can be found at www.fooddemocracy.wordpress.com.

Additionally, eating clean involves buying local and using herbs and spices to bring out the real flavor of foods.  The plan also calls for small meals six times a day and for drinking plenty of water.  Sound familiar?  We know this!  The eat clean books are so reader friendly and they do a great job of tying it all together with other key components like exercise, rest, and perspective.

I have started taking a cooler of clean food with me each week for work.  I bring lean protein (turkey, chicken tenders, hard boiled eggs) and fresh fruit and veggies and rice cakes, nuts, and other healthy snacks.  It takes no time at all to pull a cooler together for the whole week on Sunday night. 

I also have started making sure I have food with me every time I go out.  Yesterday we went to the State Fair and I took a sliced apple with natural peanut butter and a Clif Mojo Bar (70% organic, most delicious bar EVER - you can get them at Target).  I had a couple of bites of Fair food but I did not over indulge.

One of the best tricks I have learned from the eat clean books is the oatmeal bag.  Take a Ziploc baggie and put in 1/2 cup of quick cook whole oats (not instant) and a handful of dried fruit or raisins.  Stick the baggies in your handbag, your carry on, your glove box.  The baggies provide a nearly instant clean meal - all you need is a cup of hot water which you can get anywhere (and usually for free).  I have this for breakfast every weekday. 

The most successful way to lose weight and be healthy is to ignore the diet fads and stick to what we know works in the long run, clean, non-processed, super foods.

My oatmeal is calling!
Tee


Questions
  • What impact does making the commitment to eat clean or to choose SuperFoods have on you?  On the environment?  On the economy?
  • What can you do today to re-embrace the abundant healthy life you know you deserve?
Activities


  •  spend some time learning or reminding yourself about the principles of clean, local eating. The library, the bookstore, the Internet
  • go to a Farmer's Market, or your own garden and come up with meals using only the ingredients found there. A delicious plate of grilled veggies - onions, squash, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers - sprinkled with Old Bay. Delicious!
  • Make up some oatmeal bags. Go to Trader Joe's and check out their individual packs of dried fruit and nuts. Prepare yourself for when you are not prepared! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for so many great clean eating suggestions. I loved the Sunday night cooler for the week idea and will try this. All the great snacks for the week are right there. And you are so right about taking a small insulated bag or cooler of healthy snacks when you go out to work or otherwise. Here's to staying on track with clean eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty - Great to hear from you! I am at work right now and just made my oatmeal and paired it with a hard boiled egg from my cooler. In my cooler this week is hard boiled eggs, apples, natural peanut butter, Clif bars, oatmeal, raisins, spinach, grilled chicken, a cucumber ans some cherry tomatoes. I have the making for a healthy breakfast every morning, lunches and snacks for the week. Plus the amount of money I am saving in my budget from not running out for lunch is starting to add up.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete