Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Exceptions Should Not be the Rule

As I have been on this AHL path - one thing has become very clear to me.  We are willing to put up with behavior in ourselves that we would not put up with in others.  If we go to a store, or restaurant or to visit a professional service provider we expect to get what we want - not for the place or the person to substitute something else. 

We know what we need to do each day to live an abundant, healthy life, yet - we allow ourselves to make exceptions and permit behavior that is contrary to what we want and what we are working for. 

I struggle with exceptions.  It's not always easy to keep in line with our goals.  Situations and loss of mindset derail us.  We make choices that we are not happy with.  The key to dealing with exceptions is two-fold - realize that they happen and to be aware that making exceptions cannot become the rule.  An exception is something that happens on occasion, not daily.  If you are making exceptions daily - it's time for a course adjustment and to recommit.

As always, a foundational principle of the AHL program is awareness.  If you are aware, you can make the change you need to be back on track. 

Activities
- think about the times where you are likely to make an exception.  Devise a "plan B" or "option 2" that you can have in your back pocket when you feel an exception coming on.  For example - do you always make an exception for dessert?  Well, then perhaps your plan B is to always order the fruit or the sorbet.  Then you have satisfied your interest in dessert but in a more healthy way.
- if you've been making a lot of exceptions - then it's time to recommit.

Enjoy August!
Tee

5 comments:

  1. Thanks very much Tee for this message, which I want to keep in mind day to day.It is so important to know how to avoid exceptions and what to do when an exception occurs - and we all know exceptions happen. However as you said, daily exceptions equal derailment which then require recommitment. I will definitely keep Plan B's and Option 2's in my back pocket! Plan B for tonight is a nice cup of Decaf Green Tea before going to bed - no exceptions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Tee. I am just in from a 11 days in CA with the family. I will respond tomorrow but just wanted to say hello to my AHL friends! Love, San

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tee!!! I have been giving myself so many exceptions last week when i visited my friend. i have already started this morning. I went for a run and walk for 3 miles. Now i am committed to commit to my words and get on the track of losing my 3 lbs i have gained last week. I am going to pick my fruit over when i want sugar and get on detox this week. i just have to figure out when i am going to be close to home. will let you know when i do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preparation really is the best defense I have against making exceptions. Ties in with sneak eating. It's important to create conditions where making a HEALTHY choice is easy, obvious, and effortless. I do have small containers of yogurt. And my Arbonne chews are in bowls in a couple of different places too. I love that this time of year the fresh fruits and veggies make excellent options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke this morning knowing I'd be able to take my LONG walk. The air was a little cooler and I couldn't wait to put on my walking shoes. A glorious morning and it felt SO GOOD to get out and walk! I know it's good for my body. It's even better for clearing and then focusing my mind and lifting my spirit. This is truly one of MY core Abundant Healthy Living practices because it nourishes me in every way. No Exception!

    ReplyDelete