Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Life's Elixer

Water – This is probably the most essential nourishment for our overall health and therefore an obvious choice to give special attention to in our weekly post.

Water has an extensive range of functions essential to life.
- Water assists digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. If you don't drink enough water you can't get the full benefit of nutrients in the food you eat.
- If you don't drink enough water you get constipated and put your kidneys under stress.
- Water is also essential to regulating your body temperature. If you don't drink enough water you compromise the evaporation process your skin uses to keep you cool.
- Staying hydrated will also improve your cognitive ability.

Those reasons are significant enough to make me take note. And if your goal is to lose weight, there are even more reasons to reach for water. Few people realize at first just how essential water is to the success of their weight-loss program.

Water is a natural appetite suppressant. Your brain does not differentiate between hunger and thirst. So, when you think you are feeling hungry, your body may in fact be signaling to you that you are thirsty! So reach for that glass or bottle of water before you reach for anything else!

If your diet has been one that did not provide you with adequate water, your body will have developed a pattern of storing water. It's part of the body's survival mechanism - to store up the essential nutrients in short supply - just in case they aren't available in the future. So if you don't drink enough water, you are 'conditioning' your body to store water. And water is bulk and unwanted inches.

It's so simple...drink water! But how much? The most common answer we hear is to drink 6-8 large glasses a day. I like the guideline to drink half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 150, you should drink at least 75 ounces of water a day. Now if you want to increase your water intake I recommend increasing the amount gradually until you get to your ideal intake – after all you are really stretching your water comfort zone. This is a great place to implement our Plus One technique!

And if you drink coffee or an alcoholic beverage, you will need to drink another TWO glasses of water to contract the diuretic effect! And what about soda? A study at the University of Texas Health Science Center found that there was a 41 percent increase in the risk for being overweight for every single can of diet soda a person consumed daily.

So realize that alcohol, caffeinated drinks and sodas are NOT an alternative for water.  If you don’t like the taste of water you can look to Arbonne for a couple of options. Try adding Arbonne’s Fizzy Tabs. They not only make water easier to drink but provide the added benefits of a focused energy boost, appetite control and increased metabolism! And you can also explore the world of herbal teas instead – like Arbonne’s Detox Tea, you may be pleasantly surprised!

When you make a choice for what to drink, you’re better off making it an informed choice. That’s what we want to offer you here.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOG
- Be honest, how do you really feel about drinking water?! What are your stumbling blocks?
- If you’ve successfully achieved a healthy intake of water, what have you noticed about how you feel? Sharing this can be great encouragement for others.

ABUNDANT HEALTHY LIVING ACTION
- For one day, write down how much water you are drinking. Simply observe and record.
- If there is a gap between how much water you are drinking and what is recommended for you, use the Plus One technique to gradually increase your consumption of water.

5 comments:

  1. Great post Gerri,
    I know that I feel my very BEST when I am hydrated.
    When I keep myself hydrated consistently I notice the difference in my digestion, skin, hair and nails.
    A more recent awareness is mental clarity. If I allow my tank to get 'low' my thinking becomes muddled and I find it hard to stay focused. Even one big glass of water and I can settle in, comprehend and stay on task so water really is one of my best wellness tools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes and yes!! I usually love drinking water especially in warm weather. In cold weather is a different story. when i don't drink water I get headaches and no energy. i know my body wants and needs hydration and my body runs best. when i am aware of what my water intake is just another way to nurture myself. so for me,it's practicing how to take care of myself. knowing i matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Yonghee on the headache issue when I'm not drinking my water. I know that my issues with both sinus congestion and migraines are less frequent when I'm diligent with my intake of water. To help me along, I actually have TWO 32-ounce water bottles that I fill EVERY MORNING. In one I also add 2 Arbonne Fizzy Tabs (one of each flavor). And my goal is to FINISH both of these, and then some, each and every day. I find that having both prepared takes away my excuse of being too busy or distracted to refill one. This also gives me the best visual to see whether I'm drinking enough during the day. If I'm only half way through one by noon time, I know I need to step it up. This is definitely a wellness practice I believe in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in agreement with everyone regarding the benefits of water. I'm still on my new daily goal of 64 oz. per day, 2 fill-ups of the Seasource Detox bottle. Water remains my first beverage of choice. I like adding a little fresh lemon most of the time. Steeping water with fresh or dried fruit then chilling it is great too. Water with slices of cucumbers and lime are refreshing on a hot day. I first tried some of these variations at spas and they are great and easy to do at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such wonderful and simple suggestions Betty! I may just take my 2nd 32oz bottle that I fill in the morning and then add cucumber, lime or lemon slices, depending on what I have on hand. It would be a nice way to add a little extra interest to this healthy habit.

    ReplyDelete