Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sneak Eating - Who Are We Hiding From?

Sneak Eating…yeah, you know what this means. Whether it’s adding that candy bar at the check-out and eating it in the car, or having a ‘special drawer’ in your office that you open when you’re really stressed, or waiting for your spouse to go work outside so you can open the pantry…it’s all the same. And who are we kidding? Who do we think we’re really hiding from? Who always knows? We do.

This behavior isn’t empowering. It isn’t part of the Abundant Healthy Fit mindset. When we hide or sneak, it’s as if we are accepting that “this is the way it will always be”. It’s actually a form of self-sabotage. So let’s change it! The first step is to bring it out in the open. Shed some light on it. You may still have that snack, and then again, in the light of day you may realize you deserve to treat yourself better.

And what’s better? Adopting a mindset of grazing…or refueling. Healthy Fit thinking is about asking ourselves – what FUEL does my body need next? The next time you think of snacking – picture that you’re putting sand in your gas tank – do you really want to do that?

So, what’s in your kitchen? Do you have unhealthy temptations within easy reach? Or are your options weighted in favor of healthy, nutrition-rich options? Preparation is the first step. Create your own master list of healthy foods you can graze on, post this in your pantry, carry it with you when you shop.

Make it easy to make the choices that keep your body tuned and fueled so you can be a shining example of an Abundant Healthy Fit person!

QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOG
1. When do you find yourself sneaking food? What are you feeling right beforehand? What experiences trigger this behavior? How can you bring awareness to this behavior and create a new healthier way to respond to the triggers?
2. What are your favorite healthy grazing foods? What do you do to make these convenient choices to reach for instead of sneak eating?

ABUNDANT HEALTHY ACTIONS
1. Make us of one (or more) of the techniques we’ve shared on this blog when you find yourself sneaking. Ask yourself ‘Is this Poison or is this Fuel? Decide to wait 5 minutes and see if the desire is still there. Drink a glass of water first! Share what you try on the blog!!

5 comments:

  1. I love that I no longer sneak eat. I might still eat mindlessly now and then but NO more eating in the pantry thanks to AHL!

    Grazing foods for me small amounts of nuts, cheese or fruit though I find when I take my supplements and eat the right things I am not looking for things between meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately my husband Fred keeps a few too many high caloried treats for himself around. I've been amazingly good at staying away from them. It is not always easy though. If I were living alone many of Fred's choices would never get into my kitchen. But this is not the case. And so at best,I MUST have the healthy snacks and grazing foods on hand for me. Today I picked up a number of new items from the health food store. No need to sneak eat because I make sure there are plenty of the right choices around for me to eat in small, sensible portions. But what's so funny is that I love to catch Fred sneak eating from my health foods & snacks in smallportions. This is a good trend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty - I love that Fred is 'sneaking' your healthy snacks! That is definitely a good trend.

    I can't say that I have totally conquered sneak eating. It does happen less and less tho. One of my triggers is when I'm not addressing something else in my life. So if I'm not talking about something that is troubling me or if I'm avoiding something I need to do, this is when I'm most likely to 'sneak' a snack as well. I know when I'm feeling this way that what I really need to do is step back, get quiet, discover the true source of my discontent and bring it in the open. Then I can take positive action and sneak eating fits nowhere in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes reflection and certain thoughts block counterproductive actions such as sneak eating or binging. It also can be soothing during times of stress. Here is an inspirational message which is quite comforting for me and perhaps for others:
    Stillness
    In the stillness of my soul, all is well.

    Late on a quiet summer evening, I may look at the stars and feel the deep serenity of the night sky. My thoughts fall away. I am serene and still within my soul. The vast universe is constant, yet ever-changing, expanding in perfect order--and so am I. At times it may feel as if my life is changing too fast. So when I need to reconnect with peace and serenity, I go within to the stillness that awaits my awareness. In the quiet of meditation, I feel at one with God. I feel love and a deep sense of purpose. I allow myself to imagine all that I can be, knowing that all things needed for my success are provided. From my place of inner stillness, I begin anew, assured that all is well.

    For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.--

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite beautiful, Betty. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete