Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Creating Change by Stretching your Comfort Zone

To create new and different results we must stretch beyond our current comfort zone.
CHANGE just doesn't happen within the comfort and safety of your current operating system!

This doesn't necessarily mean you need to turn your life upside down, quite the contrary, we have found that small incremental steps will create lasting change and real results.

Think of your comfort zone as a rubber band. Stretch it on Monday by walking an extra mile and on Tuesday morning when you get up that rubber band may have contracted a bit but never all the way. It is easier to do again because you've done it once. There are a million other examples but you get the picture.

If you continually stretch and add a moderate or even a tiny bit more whether it's restraint or progression your comfort zone will be always be in a state of expansion. The great news is that this is true in your quest to be healthy, happy, successful ... really all areas of your life!

Abundant Health is our goal and every choice we make all day long moves us up and down the Wellness Continuum.
Picture a scale with a state of disease and despair on one end and ultimate health and joy on the other. With each choice you make you are moving towards one or the other.
One ice cream sundae is not going to make you ill and one walk is not going to make you healthy but you get the picture. It is the cumulative sum of all your choices that make you
one or the other.

QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOG
1. What is one area of your life where you have successfully stretched your comfort zone?
2. What is the next thing you want to work on and how will you stretch your comfort zone?

ABUNDANT HEALTHY LIVING ACTION
1. This week, commit to that ONE new action to stretch your comfort zone.


5 comments:

  1. I love the concept of stretching and i do stretch!!
    But,Guess what?? I only stretch when it is doable- convenient for me. It gets tricky- my own head games for me when i don't feel like it and when i don't want to so, one of the things i am committing to is send a email to all the women i just met this past weekend by 9pm tonight. with a follow up call by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice goal Yonghee! I know that I need to get back to physically stretching. So my stretch is to take time every night this week to stretch before going to bed and I might even add a bit of this to my morning as well! I do know my body needs this, believe me, I can tell - I just haven't made it a habit. So here goes - stretching my comfort zone and body!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love hearing from my AHL partners.
    I am thrilled to say that I have recently added Yoga back into my life. I start each morning with a series of Sun Salutations ... the ultimate stretch!
    The new stretch I am committing to for our AHL week is to write down my food intake. Every time I have done this in the past I have had success. In my way of thinking this is such a pain but it will be worth it. So starting tomorrow am, If I eat it, I will log in in my planner. Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, my commitment is working ... I have been logging my food intake and I have avoided many snacks when I stop to think about having to write it down.
    How is everyone else doing this week?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took my first Yoga class on Saturday. This was stretching my comfort zone because I finally made time for something I should have done long ago. I absolutely loved it for so many reasons. I have a long way to go but this is a wonderful start. I now plan to do a short daily morning Yoga series (San & Yonghee - I'm happy to be on my Yoga path too) and continue my daily meditation time. These things don't take long, when you make a special time for them & commit. This week I will stretch my comfort zone by reading a chapter, or article in the evening related to aspects of yoga or a similar topic. My challenge will be to consistently manage and balance my cardio and strength training with Yoga. I am determined to make this combination work for me.

    ReplyDelete