Remember to post as a COMMENT under the Main Post for the week. This is a wonderful way to see how the weekly theme connects us as a community.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Abundant Healthy Living Goals


The Abundant Healthy Living approach to GOAL SETTING is just like the rest of our program ... EMPOWERING!

A goal is not something to dread or fear. Think of it as a tool to help you reach your desired result. Your goal should be measurable and have a deadline. Think of it as a destination. With out a map and directions we would just wander around and perhaps never reach our destination. With directions and a route we can stay focused and make real progress.

If you miss your deadline, just reevaluate, note and celebrate your progress and set a new deadline. Never let a goal be a reason to 'beat yourself up' or it becomes self defeating.

So, think about your most important desire, the one that will give you the results you most want!

  • Create the goal
  • WRITE IT DOWN
  • Share it with AHL empowerment partners
  • Create a plan to reach the goal
  • Break the plan down into baby steps
  • Set your intention
  • Take action
  • Remember to celebrate your success
QUESTIONS FOR THE BLOG
Have goals been helpful to you in the past?
Have you remembered to celebrate your success, regardless of how small the goal was?
Do you think that the AHL way of thinking about a goal will benefit you?


ABUNDANT HEALTHY LIVING ACTION
Create a short term goal ... perhaps July 31st
Create a long term goal ... perhaps year end
Share your goals on the Blog to empower yourself and others


7 comments:

  1. I know I used to get down when I missed a goal, and I still do sometimes, tho it is much more rare. I do have a healthier approach to goals now. I believe goals are important, both short and long term, they give me focus and direction. And when 'missing' a goal it is so much more empowering to look at how far I've come rather than berate myself for not reaching the goal. I do love this mindset!

    Right now one of my goals is to get more consistent with my walking again. My goal is to walk 4 or more times a week, preferably 5 or 6. Lately I've been out the door at 6am with a bottle of water to walk the neighborhood to avoid most of the heat and humidity. It feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it difficult to keep the goals for different areas of my life on track and balanced. It seems that one set pays the price for attention to another set. I need to look at what my goals are and decide - do I have too many? Am I overwhelming myself? Great post, San. Lots to think about. Love, Tee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post which coincides with a new schedule I developed for myself and just started. On Sunday I charted out a specific daily morning regimen which includes both mind & body activities, plus time of day eating goals and other healthful reminders for the entire day. The daily morning schedule incorporates a morning walk or cardio indoors, as well as (strength & yoga/pilates exercises) followed by time set aside afterward for motivational/fitness online or other readings, blogging etc. I decided to also specify my daily goals for eating times, meditation and getting to bed, plus other reminders for water, portion control, etc. all on one handy summary sheet. I've been reading up on the benefits of meditation and am making it a daily practice. I've posted my regimen/daily goals on the task bar of my computer which pops up every day and can refer to it. My AHL principles are also still programmed for daily reference on the computer. Lastly, I logged in my weight and measurements, which I will track each week on Monday mornings. So far this is working well for me. I really feel more organized and disciplined with this plan and goals charted out on paper. The hours allotted specifically for my total morning fitness/motivational regimen are 8:30 to 11:00. I am scheduling appointments and business now after this time of day. There may be some variance on weekends and when I am away, but I plan to do a modified version as necessary wherever I am. With directions and a route, I really do feel that I can stay more focused and make real progress. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty - you have such an amazing gift for establishing a structure and schedule that will support your goals. And, also important, the realization that life happens and you sometimes have to vary. I applaud you on prioritizing YOURSELF in the morning between 8:30 and 11 and thus making business appointments AFTER 11. You're my hero!

    I'm doing great on my weekly walking goal. This will be day 4 (Started Sunday). I'll miss tomorrow due to an early meeting. I fully expect to be up early on Friday to stretch my walks out to 5 this week. It does feel good when a goal is reached!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Gerri. Congratulations on your new weekly walking program and goals.

    On another note I just discovered a healthy cooking tip which others might like. I've started substituting non-fat greek yogurt for low-fat/or nonfat mayonnaise in my tuna, chicken or salmon salad. I still add some grey poupon mustard, celery, egg whites, etc. But it tastes great and is healthy too. I hope folks will still share any healthy cooking tips and recipes on the new blog format. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love the non-fat greek yogurt too. It really is a great substitute.

    And I'm happy to say I've walked 45-60 minutes 5 days this week! This definitely feels good. And now that I have this week behind me, I feel more confident to keep this up. I think that's part of the secret - set some small attainable goals to build up confidence and then the larger goal is much easier to reach. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspiring posts, thanks Ladies.
    I have had a full out week and am getting ready to celebrate my birthday weekend with some of the family! I am so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete